Wednesday, June 12, 2013

No Castle for Me

White Castle on UrbanspoonThis review is not exclusive to the location in downtown Louisville, although it is being written in the wake of my recent visit to that location.

Over the years I've had the opportunity to visit several White Castle locations.  I've had friends who previously lived in locations with White Castles rave about their food.  During high school I had my visit to a White Castle during a state youth choir tour of the upper mid-west.  I enjoy the "Red Pop" but not the burgers.  There were a couple of similar experiences during my early 20s...the burgers just didn't do it for me.

About seven years ago I began making a yearly work trip to Louisville in early June.  In that first year I was walking around downtown after checking in to my hotel and noticed a White Castle.  So I thought, it's been years since I've had one and it is lunchtime and I'm hungry...so, why not.

Ick is why not.  Steamed Spam burgers is the best way that I can describe the slider/burgers.  And this might actually be an insult to Spam, I'm not sure.
Three sliders (one without cheese) & a "Red Pop"
A couple of years later and it's again the first day of what has become this annual work trip.  Check in.  Walk around.  See White Castle.  It can't really be as bad as I remember.  Order.  Yep, it's that bad.

This year...it's the last day of the work week trip and I jokingly mention to my roommate that there is a White Castle nearby.  He's heard about them and wants to try.  I laugh and try to steer him to a different dining option, but he really wants to go.  So we go.

His response..."man this is nasty".  See, I'm not the only one, LOL.
From what part of the chicken do "rings" come?
Until next time, happy eating (hopefully) is only an adventure away.

No comments:

Post a Comment