Friday, June 23, 2017

Oh Sweet Brown

Georgia Brown's Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - ZomatoOne of our Oklahoma City based "celebrities" who had slightly longer than her 15 minutes of fame, was Sweet Brown. Her interview, by local media, of a fire within her apartment complex went viral. If you've not seen it, click here for the KFOR interview.

This, however, is not the Sweet Brown that is currently on my mind. I'm thinking of sweet Georgia Brown's restaurant in Washington, D.C. I'm in D.C. visiting from Oklahoma for a conference. My friends Amy and Bruce and their two sons are in D.C. visiting from California for their family vacation. We've been able to meet up in the evenings for dinner. Wednesday night was Amy's birthday and Georgia Brown's came as a recommendation to her. This was AWESOME as it meant going to another restaurant in D.C. to which I've never previously visited. And ... Oh Sweet Brown!

Prior to dinner we had actually been out walking among the Jefferson, Franklin D. Roosevelt, and the Martin Luther King, Jr. memorial monuments. We were all hot and sweaty and our feet were tired. The COLD water was a such a relief and I know I just guzzled four glasses before I could blink. But that's not the reason for me saying "Oh Sweet Brown".

The biscuits and corn bread that were served with an amazing honey butter set the southern soul food experience ahead of us off to an amazing start. The corn bread sticks reminded me of what my mom or my Louisiana aunts might make using an old cast iron pan. The batter was sweetened to perfection and once cooked and combined with the honey butter it all just literally melted in your mouth.

not my picture; one I found online
For my entree, I had the shrimp and grits. And let's just say this was shrimp and grits LOADED: Jumbo Shrimp, Shallots, Andouille Sausage, Garlic, Scallions, mixed with Organic Stone-Milled Grits and covered with Lobster Sauce. Large juicy shrimp combined with spicy Andouille are always a great combination of flavors. To me, what "made" this dish is the lobster sauce. I want the recipe! I demand the recipe 😉. The flavor and spices within the sauce just helped to elevate this dish to a level that was pure WOW. I even used another couple of corn bread sticks to soak up the remaining sauce after eating everything else.



Amy recommends the Buttermilk Fried Chicken and Bruce recommends the De-Constructed Jambalaya.

The evening ended with Amy being served an amazing Peach Cobbler a la Mode. If you've ever wondered what "the south" tastes like...it's the peach cobbler; I'm so thanking that Amy shared her birthday treat with the rest of us.


No comments:

Post a Comment